We like to complain, “It’s hot, It’s cold. I’m too fat, I’m too short. I’m too old”…. yackk yackk yakk! We need more cheese in this world, with all the whine that’s going around. We whine (make excuses) about everything. Weather, ourselves, each other. Get over it!
GOD MAKES GOOD THINGS
Complaining about life is an insult to God and to His creation.
Ge 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Ge 1:27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Ge 1:31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good.
God made us, we were made in His image. But it’s our attitude, not our appearance or health that separates us from God. Moses complained that he wasn’t a good speaker, God got angry. (Ex 4:10,11)
Zig Ziglar calls it “stinkin thinkin”. Look to the scriptures, there are wonderful words of comfort from our Creator; “Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the LORD, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. 29 He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall, 31 But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.” Isa 40:28
God has a question for us when we complain about the troubles of life; “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?” Job 38:4. I think that it’s morally wrong for Christians to remain unhappy. We can have sorrow and complaints, but to continue to talk about them, elevating them above our hope in Jesus, then what are we saying about Him? What are we saying to the world about our Savior?
Jas 3:9 With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. 10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
EXAMPLES of Positive attitudes
- Stephen, As he lay dying, he said these words about his accusers, “And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge.” Ac 7:60
- Paul; “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. 23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: 24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you. 25 And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith;” Php 1:21
God has provided for each and every one of us with something to contribute.
- 1Co 12:18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
- 1Co 12:12-31; (12) For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
- Ga 6:14 But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
- Talents; Mt 25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
Be Happy for Jesus
Many an ugly, sick or poor person has brought someone to Christ! If we only spoke about the love of God when we feel great, then we’re missing huge opportunities.
- Ro 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.
- Peter told folks to appear hopeful in the midst of persecution; “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:” 1Pe 3:15
Even if there seems to be nothing in the world to make us happy, we should still act happy. The reason, one day the Lord shall return to take us to a far better place.
“Perhaps your own reiterated cries deafen you to the voice you hoped to hear” ― A Grief Observed – CS Lewis.
Ask me how to make your calling and election sure. 2Pet 1:10