Authority, having permission, should be of primary concern for us in the church. We recognize the need for it in other areas of our lives, ie, work, police, government. Imagine if our children acted toward us at home as we do towards the Lord in the church. If there are no guidelines, then anything goes, so to in the church.
GOD REQUIRES IT
- Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
- 1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
- Ac 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
- A DIFFICULT VERSE – Mt 7:21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. 24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
- NOTICE: These are believers, doing things “in His name” but obviously without His permission. vs 23
IS SINCERITY ENOUGH? –
- IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE – Ac 3:17 And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers. 19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
- Mr 12:24 And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?
- Ho 4:6 ¶ My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
- Pr 14:12 ¶ There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. [Gen 6:5; Jer 10:23]
CANNOT GO BEYOND HIS WORD –
- DO NOT ADD OR REMOVE – De 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you. [Rev 22:18, 19]
- TO DO GOOD OR BAD – Nu 24:13 If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the commandment of the LORD, to do either good or bad of mine own mind; but what the LORD saith, that will I speak?
- EXAMPLES OF DISOBEDIENCE – Ro 15:4 For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.
- Nadab & Abihu – Le 10:1-2
- Moving the Ark – 1Sam 6:3, 4, 6, 7
THE WORD OF GOD SAVES –
- 2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
- Joh 12:46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. 47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
- REJECTING AUTHORITY – Jude 1:7 as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. 8 Likewise also these dreamers defile the flesh, reject authority, and speak evil of dignitaries.
According to scriptures, the Word of God, we need permissions for our actions. Permission or Authority to do things, whether they be in the church or out. As Colossians 3:17 says; “And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.“