Jesus Endured so much for us.
Our Lord and Savior put up with a lot. I mean, A LOT. Below is a list of things done to our Lord.
- Mat 27:30 And they SPIT upon him, and took the reed, and SMOTE him on the head.
- Mat 26:67 Then did they SPIT in his face, and BUFFETED him; and others SMOTE him with the palms of their hands,
- Mat 27:2 And when they had BOUND him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor.
- Mat 27:26 and when he had SCOURGED Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified.
- Mat 27:28 And they STRIPPED him, and put on him a scarlet robe.
- Mat 27:29-30 And when they had platted A CROWN OF THORNS, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and MOCKED him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews! And they SPIT upon him, and took the reed, and SMOTE him on the head.
- Isa 50:6 I gave my back to the SMITERS, and my cheeks to them that PLUCKED OFF THE HAIR: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.
- Mat 26:60 But found none: yea, though MANY FALSE WITNESSES came, yet found they none. At the last came TWO FALSE WITNESSES,
- Luke 23:40-41 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same CONDEMNATION? And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but THIS MAN HATH DONE NOTHING AMISS.
- Mark 15:31 Likewise also the CHIEF PRIESTS MOCKING said among themselves with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save.
- Psalm 22:16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they PIERCED MY HANDS AND MY FEET.
- Mat 27:35 And they CRUCIFIED him,
- John 19:34 But one of the soldiers with a spear PIERCED HIS SIDE, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
This list is hard to read when you remember why He came to earth. To free us from the bondage of sin, to redeem us to God and all because He loved us. “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” [Rom 5:8].
Another thing that comes to mind when reading this list is how much self-control Christ demonstrated. Just before all these things took place Jesus said, “Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?” [Mat 26:53] He said this BEFORE all the abuse, yet during the abuse, He remained silent.
Reading this list, may we come to the same conclusion as the Centurion at the crucifixion, “they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.” [Mat 27:54]
A FINAL THOUGHT
When we, those who have put on Christ in faithful baptism, return to sin, it’s as if we’re doing it all over again.
“…seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. [Heb 6:6b]
My hope is that this serves as a reminder of how much Jesus loves you and what He was willing to do for you.
Since He went that far for you, how far will you go for Him?