While stopping at a light, a fellow got behind a car with a “HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS” bumper sticker. So, he did.
The lady started waving her arms and using certain hand gestures then leaned out the window shouting, “THE LIGHTS RED YOU IDIOT!”
On social media you’ll find posts like…
“If you Love Jesus, share this post. If you love Satan, keep on scrolling.”
You don’t want anyone to think you love Satan over Jesus, right?
This appears to be what Loving Jesus has become, acknowledge that you love him by HONKING, LIKING & SHARING a meme [a meme is a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc., that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users.].
We are living in a time when the believing world thinks all other believers are saved. This despite the variations in TEACHING, DOCTRINE, DEFINITION of SIN, & HOW TO BE SAVED. Clearly these differences are a direct violation of 1Corinthians 1:10.
“Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the SAME thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the SAME mind and in the SAME judgment.”
|What does ‘ecumenical’ mean?
Promoting or relating to unity among the world’s Christian Churches, regardless of doctrine, teaching or organization.
The believing world is ecumenical. They have unity with Islam, Judaism, Buddhism & every other belief system. How? Simple, they are unified in the worldly definition of LOVE & TOLERANCE.
If you LOVE, and TOLERATE others who have love, regardless of what is being taught, then there’s unity. I’m not making this up. This is my experience whenever I suggest to someone that OBEDIENCE TO THE FAITH is a requirement of salvation. “That’s not loving,” they’ll say.
“Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name,” [Romans 1:5]
The love they believe is defined by the world. Definitions from the world are ever changing. LOVE, IN THE WORLD’S MIND, CAN INCLUDE SIN. It can include direct disobedience to the scriptures. The love of the world can include ignoring Christ altogether.
“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” [1John 2:15]
They might even quote scripture (without understanding):
- God is Love. 1John 4:8, 16
- John 3:16 says, “God loved the world.”
- “All you need is love.” (this is a quote from the Beatles, not God)
There can be no denying that God is Love, and that He requires Love from us. What needs to be clarified is what is the definition of that Love.
GOD IS LOVE:
Since God is love, He knows best how to define it, and He has. All we need do is search the scriptures to learn God’s definition of Love.
- Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- 1John 3:16 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
- Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.
- John 15:12 “This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
- John 14:15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments.
- John 14:23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
- John 15:10 “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.
- 1John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
- 2John 1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.
And lastly, one of the most concise passages on love is 1Corinthians 13;
“Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not its own, is not provoked, taketh not account of evil; rejoiceth not in unrighteousness, but rejoiceth with the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Love never faileth:” [1Cor 13:4-8a]
Love in the Bible is so much more than a feeling, sharing a post or honking a horn. It’s about a sacrificial devotion to our creator which includes our obedience to His revealed will. DO YOU LOVE JESUS? Share His Gospel.