Throughout the Bible, we’re warned about the effects of sin. The problem is less about the knowledge of sin, rather on how to overcome it in our lives. Paul wrestled with this himself saying, “O wretched man that I am!” [Romans 7:24]
How do we overcome sin?
- Sin is overcome by Faith – Joh 8:24 except ye believe;
- 1Jo 5:4-5 For whatsoever is begotten of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that hath overcome the world, even our faith.
- Sin is overcome by obedience – Heb 5:9 and having been made perfect, he became unto all them that obey him the author of eternal salvation;
- Conduct worthy of the Gospel – Phil 1:27; Rom 12:17-21; Eph 5:22-6:4
- Sin is overcome by faithfulness to Christ – 2Ti 4:6-8  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith:
- Re 2:10 Fear not …. Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee the crown of life.
- Self-control – Prov 16:32 ruleth his spirit; 2Pet 1:5-6 add to faith; James 1:19 swift to hear; 3:2-10 bridled tongue
- Fruit of the Spirit – Gal 5:22, 23
There’s a very good reason we need to remove sin from our lives……
To obtain an incorruptible crown – And every man that striveth in the games exerciseth self-control in all things. Now they do it to receive a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. [1Corinthians 9:25]