It’s that time of year again when this bulletin is dedicated to helping you find the right bible reading program.
Before I introduce to you the plans for 2019, let’s remind ourselves as to why a regular plan for reading the bible is so valuable.
- A life without the Bible is an empty life. God has given to us all things pertaining to life & godliness. [2Pet 1:3]
- We will make mistakes by not knowing it. [Mat 22:29]
- We’re commanded to study it. [2Tim 2:15]
- The Scriptures are “profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” [2Tim 3:16-17]
Now, let’s look at some plans for 2019.
THE CHRONOLOGICAL daily reading plan. This plan has you reading the entire bible in 1 year in chronological order. You can find these online, or through an app on your smart phone. Some of these apps will even read the bible to you.
THE 30-DAY PLAN FOR NEW CONVERTS. This plan leads the new convert through bible from the fall of man through the redemption of mankind in Christ Jesus.
THE 61-DAY OVERVIEW OF THE WHOLE BIBLE. This plan touches just the highlights of the whole bible. This is a good plan for someone who wants a reminder of major events or is trying to just get an overview before a more complete reading of the bible.
THE MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY PLAN. This plan has a focus on the New Testament. Each day of the week has a theme as follows:
- Mondays – Read from the Gospels [89 chapters]
- Tuesdays – Read from Acts [28 chapters]
- Wednesday – Read from Paul’s letters (Romans – Philemon) [87 chapters]
- Thursday – Read from the Old Testament [929 chapters]
- Friday – Read from the General letters (Hebrews through Revelation) [56 chapters]
As New Testament Christians, this plan has a focus on the New Covenant and allows you to read through the New Testament several times in a year (just 5-10 chapters per day), with ACTS being read about 10 times in a year depending on your reading speed. You would need to read about 15+ chapters on Thursdays to complete a reading of the Old Testament.
Imagine, by this time next year you will have read about the Lord’s life 4 times, the beginning of the church up to 10 times and the instructions from the Apostles 3,4 or 5 times!
THE PROVERBS A MONTH PLAN
With any of the above plans, a great addition would be to read from one chapter of Proverbs each day. There are 30-31 days in a month, and there are 31 chapters of Proverbs. The book of Proverbs is an excellent book for helping with daily living principles.
The breakdown of the book of Proverbs is as follows:
- 1-9 the value of Wisdom
- 10-30 are the sayings of Solomon with a mix of topics.
- 31 is the word of King Lemuel’s Mother about the godly woman.
A FEW TIPS for Reading the Bible Daily.
- Just Start. You don’t want to be saying, “I wish I read more” this time next year.
- Set an appointment for yourself to read your bible. Nothing ever gets done until it’s scheduled.
- Pray before and after each time you read. [Jas 1:5-6]
There is no downside to reading from God’s word, only an upside. Even if you miss a day, you have a plan to stay on track, keep it interesting and help you to grow.
If you live in the Borger, TX area and would like to study with someone, click here.